Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Healing Place

The magnificence of Piha was not dimmed by the low clouds and pissing down rain that followed us from Auckland to the coast. As Peter, the shuttle driver,  maneuvered his car down the windy roads out of the rainforest, the majesty of Lion's Rock came into view and I had a feeling of deja vu, knowing this was the right place to be right now.

I had found the women's retreat, Te Wahi Ora, online and from its description as a place for women to rest and rejuvenate I hoped it would be a peaceful place for me to land in New Zealand for a few days and get off the hostel circuit. Indeed, it was.

Bev, the woman who conceived and created the retreat 21 years ago, put me in her nicest room at the top of the A-frame that faced the beach. After weeks in hostels, the queen bed, ensuite bathroom, and a door to create privacy felt so luxurious. My private time -- whether it was walking the beach, or lolling in bed in the morning, or reading on my little deck -- was truly a chance to recharge. Yet, I enjoyed the communal lunches and dinners as well with the other women who were from Australia and New Zealand.

In the morning, I got my first walk in the rain on the beach, and when the skies cleared I got in another walk and climbed Lion's Rock for the spectacular view of the inlet. I walked into Piha's center and sipped a coffee while observing the small-town gatherings across the street at the post office. I read, I walked, and I had a massage. Plus, Bev's wonderful vegetarian and organic food made every meal worth savoring. At dinner, we had delicious New Zealand wine to relax into as well.

The sea was always there, whether it was the crisp smell or the roar of the surf, or catching a glimpse out my window. I was there just shy of 48 hours, but they were truly some of my best hours spent so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment