Thursday, March 1, 2012

Relaxing send-off in Oakland


Lots to fill you in on already from Australia, but I'm going to take a moment to post about my brief and lovely stop in Oakland visiting old and dear friends. Their hospitality really allowed me to chill out and prepare me for the long flight to Sydney.

Annie and Amos hosted me the first night. Annie walked me up the Oakland hills for some views of San Fran and the bridges. We caught up on life as we know it, and I can see how her decision of whether to stay in Cali or return to Boston will truly be a difficult one.

And then Debian whisked me off to her lovely home with Gigi and treated me to a fabulous dinner and conversational interludes interrupted by occasional kennel uprisings--two senior dogs and two new pups. We commiserated about the natural losses that pile up through middle-age, but also celebrated the joys and gifts we cherish.

Debian and Gigi warmly sent me off at SFO and after a quick one-hour jump to LAX (short phone call to Jonathan to catch up on his Hollywood dream), it would be over 15 hours of life in a large metal tube. Saving grace: empty seat in the middle where I could roll out to sleep a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment